The Houston Texans were awarded Kofi Hughes from the Washington Redskins. Hughes, 22, ended his career with the Indiana Hoosiers with 32 receptions for 1,956 yards and 13 touchdowns in 31 starts (45 total games). Hughes signed with the Redskins as an undrafted free agent before making his way to Houston. He’s the 12th wide receiver currently with the Texans. The Texans waived UH OT Kevin Forsch to make room for Hughes. Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
- Alyson Footer (MLB.com) says the Astrodome played a major role in Houston’s integration.
This story has a baseball tie — a big one. The Astrodome wasn’t just the Eighth Wonder of the World. It was a driving force as to why the city needed to be integrated sooner rather than later. More on that in a bit.
- Jose de Jesus Ortiz (Houston Chronicle) on George Springer‘s record breaking month.
- David Coleman (Crawfish Boxes) asks how much money talks.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Houston Astros (@astros) May 29, 2014
Asik has one year left on a 3 year, $25 million deal that he signed in 2012, with a cap hit of $8.3 million to any team that acquires him. His true salary, however, is $15 million, because of the way that contracts given out to restricted free agents with “early bird” status are structured. The Rockets could not offer Asik a starting salary of greater than $5 million, so he earned $5 million and $5.5 million in his first two years before his salary escalates to $15 million this season.
- Jason Friedman (Rockets.com) reviews the year of Jeremy Lin.
- Brett David Roberts (Space City Scoop) on NBA Draft prospect Jerami Grant.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
The #Rockets are always looking to add a star if possible. They’ll always be rumored to Melo, Love, etc. Don’t get too caught up this early.
— Rockets Insider (@Rockets_Insider) May 28, 2014
“It’s been not easy; I’m not going to lie,” Hopkins said on Wednesday, after Day 2 of OTAs. “Just because it’s a new playbook. You gotta refocus, you have to do everything you did your rookie year all over again. I feel like I know how to prepare better than last year, kind of going out and learning from Andre (Johnson) and things like that. I feel like I’m becoming a better player overall.”
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) on the Chiefs transplants no stranger to big turnarounds.
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on the Texans quarterbacks having more freedom.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— James Palmer (@JPalmerCSN) May 28, 2014