Houston Astros MiLB Week In Review
It seems as of lately I can’t stop talking about Jonathan Singleton. Every night this week when I looked over box scores, Singleton did something well. It is really nice to see him getting into a groove. As most know, he struggled in his time in AAA last year coming off the 50 game suspension. Just for a quick comparison, Singleton had 6 HR, 31 RBI in 73 AAA games last season. This season he has 7 HR, 23 RBI in 16 games. Talk about an improvement. Also, I know some people were saying Singleton looked out of shape last season but he looks to be in good shape now. Check out this HR: Singleton Homerun and a farmhand review on Singleton.
While Singleton had a great week, there were also other great performances by hitters and pitchers this week.
You could check out last week’s minor league review by clicking here.
AAA: Oklahoma City Redhawks (11-7) went 3-4 this week.
OKC played 7 games, losing one against New Orleans, splitting a four game series and splitting two with Memphis.
- Jon Singleton, 1B: .367 BA (11-30), 9 R, 2 2B, 3B, 3 HR, 8 RBI
- Enrique Hernandez, 2B: .438 BA (7-16), 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SB
- Max Stassi, C: .250 BA (7-28), 6 R, 4 2B, 2 HR, 7 RBI
- Nick Tropeano, RHP: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Mike Foltynewicz, RHP: 8.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO
As stated earlier, Jonathan Singleton is just tearing up AAA pitching. Enrique Hernandez is kind of an underrated prospect in our system but he is young for his league, 22 in AAA. He also has played 2B, CF and RF for OKC already. Stassi only had seven hits but six were for extra bases. Folty gave up too many hits but he walk to strikeout ratio was better.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (9-7) went 1-5 this week.
The Hooks played six games losing two against Springfield and three against Frisco before winning on Sunday. Also if you haven’t heard yet, Delino DeShields was hit in the face with a fastball but he says he is okay.
- Preston Tucker, OF: .304 (7-23), 3 R, 3 2B, HR, RBI
- Thomas Shirley, LHP: 8.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 12 SO
- Aaron West, RHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO
- Luis Cruz, LHP: 8.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
CC only scored 14 runs in their 6 games this week, with 7 of those runs coming in Sunday’s win. Unfortunately, they did not get many hitting good hitting performances this week, which lead to their losses. Pitching has been solid and continued their solid stretch this week.
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (11-6) went 3-3 this week.
The Jethawks played six games against High Desert, splitting the series 3-3.
- Rio Ruiz, 3B: .400 BA (8-20), 3 2B, HR, 5 RBI, SB
- Teoscar Hernandez, OF: .348 BA (8-23), 8 R, 4 2B, 6 RBI, 2 SB
- Carlos Correa, SS: .346 BA (9-26), 7 R, 2B, 2 3B, HR, 4 RBI, SB
- Vincent Velasquez, RHP: 2-0, 8.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 7 SO
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 1-0, 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
- Lance McCullers, RHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Nice to see Rio Ruiz have a good week, he is now hitting .333 on the season. Correa got in a mini slump but broke out of it this week, hitting .281 now. Teoscar Hernandez keeps up his hot season so far, 5 2B, 5 3B and 15 RBI. The young pitchers of Lancaster have continued to pitch well. Velasquez – 1.29 ERA, Smith – 2.25 ERA, McCullers – 2.45 ERA.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (7-9) went 2-4 this week.
The River Bandits played 6 games, winning 2 out of 3 against West Michigan and getting swept by South Bend. QC only scored 17 runs in their 6 games this week.
- Brett Booth, C: 1.000 BA (2-2), 3 R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Brian Holberton, C: .307 BA (4-13), R, HR, 3 RBI
- Andrew Thurman, RHP: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO
- Tyler Brunnemann, RHP: 5.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO
- Michael Feliz, RHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
Andrew Thurman gave up 9 ER in his first 4.2 IP, in his last 9.1 IP he has given up 1 ER. Thurman also has 18 SO in only 14 IP this season. Kent Emanuel, Astros 3rd round pick last season, has a 3.00 ERA through 15 IP this season. QC doesn’t have many top hitters so they will be relying on their pitching throughout the season.
Looking forward to this week’s Houston Astros Minor League teams play. Let’s get this next week started!!