It’s really unfortunate that of all the three major big cities ahead of us in population, Chicago is the only one we haven’t conquered. But knowing that Chicago has had recent success in the sports world while we just won our first championship in twenty-two seasons, we want to be like
More from House of Houston
- Are you the 2021 FanSided Sports Fan of the Year?
- Houston Texans: 4 reasons Romeo Crennel is right coach right now
- Astros-Twins Wild Card Series: 5 things to know as MLB postseason begins
- Houston Texans: The Most Underrated Sports Drought Ever
- Houston Texans: J.J. Watt’s early case for NFL Hall of Fame
Chicago. Chicago isn’t as arrogant as New York or glamorous or fashion-like as Los Angeles. But even for a great city, they seem to have loyal fans even during the bad days. Ask the Cubs from 1908-2016 if you’re fortunate to find one.
So why Chicago as #1 on this list?
- The White Sox beat us in the World Series in four straight.
- They’re the only city ranked higher in terms of population that we have yet to beat in any playoff scenario.
- The Bears are among those desperate for a Super Bowl even though they have one. That’s like us except we have yet to experience it.
- Of course, there’s that big what if had Michael Jordan not retired during 1994-95. Could the Bulls have won eight straight or could the Rockets have ended their first three-peat? On that note, I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again.
WE KNOW THE TRUTH!
Can Clutch City contain the Windy City?
Yes, here’s how! The Astros beat the Cubs in the World Series.
Think about it. Dallas Keuchel made headlines saying that as far as a World Series hangover was concerned, the Astros won’t have that problem because they weren’t the Cubs. While Keuchel meant the Astros had a tighter team chemistry and talented players than what the Cubs had in 2017, you can only imagine what Cubs’ fans are saying. So why not have a World Series between the former NL Central rivals? Why not have a series between the last two champions? It hasn’t happened since 1958. Unless baseball has the Dodgers vs. Yankees as the World Series for 2018, then this should be the next best World Series.
The Rockets and the Bulls would be the best NBA Finals matchup that happened too late. What’s the point of a Rockets-Bulls that is twenty-one years too late? The Bears and Texans Super Bowl? Don’t get me started Houston Sports fans.
Now, this is all fun and games Houston Sports fans. Cities are going to beat each other in sports teams. But that doesn’t mean it will lead to a game of Risk. But I guess sometimes, it leads to the simple phrase of being careful what you wish for.