After being relatively quiet on free agency front, the Houston Texans are back in the news again.
After being relatively quiet on free agency front, the Houston Texans are back in the news again.
And wouldn’t you know it, it’s about that pesky quarterback situation again.
There’s a ton of uncertainty in regard to who will under center for the Houston Texans for the 2017 season.
Many have been rumored in terms of interest but at least we know that one rumor has been put to bed.
After 13 seasons — all with the Dallas Cowboys — quarterback Tony Romo will retire from football.
This quells any rumors that he was to be associated with the Houston Texans.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport has the skinny:
#Cowboys and Tony Romo reached an end of their drama. He is set to retire from football, as Dallas was set to release him, as ESPN said
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 4, 2017
Romo is set to be released today so he can go pursue those said opportunities.
He has been in hot pursuit by CBS and FOX to be one of their lead commentators.
There are even whispers that he’d replace Phil Simms on the No. 1 broadcast team for CBS.
But enough about all of that — he gone — what happens now for the Texans as they were rumored to be in pursuit of him?
Here’s what the Chron’s Aaron Wilson had to say:
With the news that Tony Romo plans to retire and enter broadcasting industry, according to ESPN, Texans' top current option is Tom Savage
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 4, 2017
And he also added this tidbit about Jay Cutler:
Texans haven't displayed interest in Jay Cutler at this point, not sure that they will change with Tony Romo option off the table
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 4, 2017
Bringing Tom Savage back is definitely the easiest option for the Texans and not necessarily a bad one either.
I could realistically see the Texans bringing him back as he is the last year of the roookie deal he signed back in 2014.
He has been with Bill O’Brien since Day 1 and is quite comfortable running his offense.
Will it be the likely one?
We’ll have to see as Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick are still available at this point.
The chatter nationally seems to be that the Texans should go out and get a veteran QB rather than turn to Savage as their starter.
The problem is that they’ve haven’t seen Tom play like we have — he’s a good QB — and this is his opportunity to shine more than ever as long as he stays healthy.
But now the Texans have just a tad under $30 million in cap space, likely cleared to make space for Romo.
What will they do with it?
That too remains to be seen as it would be wise to spend some of it to help make this team better if they do plan to stick with Savage.
I wouldn’t mind having Cutler here but I worry about how his persona doesn’t necessarily emanate the traits of a leader.
Kaepernick has talent but he’s not a natural pocket-passer which is something O’Brien likes to have in a QB.
But whatever they decide, we’re likely going to find out soon.
Let’s hope for the best.
Go Texans.