Houston Astros MiLB Players Of The Month: July
Another month down. With the month of July came trades of some prospects like Jacob Nottingham, Brett Phillips, Daniel Mengden, Josh Hader, Adrian Houser, and Domingo Santana. Even with these guys not in the organization, the Houston Astros still have one of the deepest systems in all of baseball.
More from House of Houston
- Houston Texans: 4 reasons Romeo Crennel is right coach right now
- Astros-Twins Wild Card Series: 5 things to know as MLB postseason begins
- Houston Texans: The Most Underrated Sports Drought Ever
- Houston Texans: J.J. Watt’s early case for NFL Hall of Fame
- Houston Rockets and Texans: Two different coaches with one glaring similarity
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies
HITTER: Tyler White, DH
- July Stats: 23 G, .385 BA/.477 OBP/.604 SLG, 16 R, 11 2B, 3 HR, 21 RBI, 16 BB/15 SO
White got promoted to AAA and played his first game on July 2nd. Since then, he has destroyed AAA with an insane .477 OBP. White was drafted in the 33rd round in 2013 and has moved through the system fast. He looks primed to make an impact on a big league roster soon.
HONORABLE MENTION: Matt Duffy, 3B
- July Stats: 26 G, .337 BA/.424 OBP/.564 SLG, 27 R, 8 2B, 5 HR, 19 RBI, 14 BB/11 SO
I usually don’t do honorable mention but Duffy together the best month of his season, it just happened to come when White was on fire. Duffy’s season line is .295 BA, 21 2B, 13 HR, 74 RBI in 95 games. Like White, he was a later pick who has continued to hit. Excited to see what he will do in the majors one day.
PITCHER: Dan Straily, RHP
- July Stats: 2-0, 2.14 ERA, 21 IP, 16 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 22 SO, .205 BAA
Another solid month for Dan Straily. He has really pitched well this season with the Grizzlies. Unfortunately the Astros haven’t had an opening for him to stick in the rotation but I think we will see him in Houston again.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Colin Moran, 3B
- July Stats: 27 G, .349 BA/.407 OBP/.538 SLG, 18 R, 7 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 22 RBI, 10 BB/27 SO
This is easily the best month of the season for Colin. He hit all three of his season homers this month as well. He struggled with injuries a bit but really got it rolling in July which is great to see. Still only 22 years old and a guy who may contribute to the Astros next season.
PITCHER: Michael Feliz, RHP
- July Stats: 4-0, 2.13 ERA, 25.1 IP, 17 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 7 BB, 19 SO, .187 BAA
Feliz saw a bit of time with the Astros this season so this is really his first full month with Corpus. The strikeouts are lower than normal but he was pretty much unhittable. He will be a guy that is probably promoted when the roster expand and help the Astros out of the bullpen.
A+: Lancaster Jethawks
HITTER: Ronnie Mitchell, LF
- July Stats: 26 G, .321 BA/.339 OBP/.538 SLG, 13 R, 6 2B, 4 3B, 3 HR, 23 RBI, 3 BB/19 SO
Mitchell had a really bad May but has hit above .300 each of the last two months. His walk/strikeout ratio wasn’t as good as past months but he hit the ball well evident by his .321 BA, which is the highest of any month for him this season.
PITCHER: Keegan Yuhl, RHP
- July Stats: 1-1, 1.35 ERA, 26.2 IP, 21 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 26 SO, .212 BAA
Yuhl was moved to the role of starter this month and he excelled. Through May/June, Yuhl made only 12 appearances all out of the pen. A 1.35 ERA in the California League is impressive.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Nick Tanielu, 3B
- July Stats: 27 G, .340 BA/.378 OBP/.510 SLG, 11 2B, 2 HR, 24 RBI, 6 BB/13 SO
Tanielu follows up a .299 June with a .340 July raising his season average to .313. He doesn’t hit a ton of homers but has really racked up the doubles this season with 23 in 88 games.
PITCHER: Christian Powell, RHP
- July Stats: 2-1, 2.86 ERA, 28.1 IP, 30 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 5 BB, 22 SO
A nice month from Powell got him a promotion to Lancaster. The key is only five walks in 28+ innings. Brock Dykxhoorn also had a nice month with a 1.84 ERA in only 14.2 innings due to the PanAm games. You can check out my interview with Dykxhoorn here.
A-: Tri-City Valleycats
HITTER: Bobby Wernes, 3B
- July Stats: 25 G, .341 BA/.430 OBP/.365 SLG, 13 R, 2 2B, 12 RBI, 12 BB/13 SO, 3 SB
Wernes was the Astros 30th round pick out of Arkansas and he hasn’t stopped hitting since joining the organization. While he only has two doubles, the .430 OBP can play anwhere.
PITCHER: Alex Winkelman, LHP
- July Stats: 3-0, 1.72 ERA, 15.2 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 19 K
Winkelman started the season with Greeneville and earned a promotion to Tri-City where has has dominated in July. Overall on the season he has 7 BB/33 K in 26 innings.
Click here for more on the Houston Astros and the Astros Minor League system!