Dwight Howard has stated his position on the Chandler Parsons departure and he is adamant it will not have an effect on the Houston Rockets’ attempts for a title run this season.
Chandler Parsons’ future was up in the air this off-season but ultimately the Rockets decided not to match the offer sheet put on the table by the Dallas Mavericks.
Chandler Parsons is set to make $45 million over the next three years.
On Friday Howard said, “It won’t affect us at all. We have myself and James,” Howard said. “We have the best center and the best two guard in the game on the same team. It’s on us.”
Dwight Howard had well wishes for the new Maverick but stands firm on the belief that James Harden and himself can carry the team without Chandler Parsons.
Parsons averaged career highs with 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and four assists for the Rockets last season.
Although Howard says he is ok with Chandler Parsons leaving, the two did have a close relationship in Houston. Parsons was instrumental in helping the Rockets reel Dwight in to Houston.
The Rockets were fully committed to the idea of signing big name free agent moves this offseason but after Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and LeBron James went elsewhere, the Rockets were left to explore other options. One of those players was former Rocket, Trevor Ariza. Ariza was acquired in a three team-trade last week.
When asked about the addition of Ariza, Howard said he was “big” for the Rockets, “He’ll go through a wall for you. Just to have soldiers on your team like that is great. We have that one-two punch with me and James. We’re filling out our roster with guys who are willing to go through that wall and doing whatever it takes to win.”
Trevor Ariza should be a nice replacement for Parsons and it is good to see Howard approve of the new addition.
Stick with us at House of Houston for all the latest on the Rockets’ offseason. Click here for all the latest stories!