NBA fans are bombarded this time of year with Mock Drafts, wondering who their team will take. Here is my 2014 NBA Mock draft from a Houston Rockets perspective with commentary around who they’d love to fall to them, who they will consider and who they will take.
1. Cleveland – Andrew Wiggins (SF) Kansas – The Embiid injury took away the Cavs ability to screw this up again.
2. Milwaukee – Jabari Parker (SF/PF) Duke – How can Milwaukee pass on a guy who can be a star and might actually stay longer term?
3. Philadelphia – Dante Exum (PG) Australia – Exum similar to Michael Carter-Williams, but no team was hurt more by Embiid’s injuries.
4. Orlando – Marcus Smart (PG/SG) Oklahoma St. – Vonleh will be tempting but I think they want to pair Olidipo with Smart or Exum.
5. Utah – Noah Vonleh (PF) Indiana – Tempted to roll the dice on Embiid but Vonleh’s upside too high to pass on for Embiid’s risks.
6. Boston – Aaron Gordon (PF) Arizona – Celtics seem to be in looking for a star mode, comes down to Gordon or Embiid.
7. LA Lakers – Joel Embiid (C) Kansas – Lakers will take chance on Embiid at this point, other elite players are gone.
8. Sacramento – Elfrid Payton (PG) Louisiana Lafayette – Kings have made it known the pick is available to trade. Could be Randle here but my hunch is they go PG and Payton has wowed at team work outs.
9. Charlotte – Nik Stauskas (SG) Michigan – Most mocks have McDermott here but when has the Charlotte team done what you thought they would?
10. Philadelphia – Julius Randle (PF) Kentucky – Sixers hurt by Embiid injury, catch a break here with Randle mini-slide and find a PF that can play up front with Noel.
Picks 1-10 Rockets Perspective
Honestly very little impact on the Rockets draft unless they decided to make a move for the Kings pick at #8, but I don’t see that happening. Among the players here, I believe the Rockets would have interest in Stauskas and Payton if they slid, the rest they really never had a shot at.
Click NEXT to see the next 10 selections (hint: Rockets 1st pick is on page 3)