The Houston Texans agreed to a deal with their (early) third-round pick C.J. Fiedorowicz. The Iowa Hawkeyes tight end signed a four-year deal worth $3.95 million including a $703,304 signing bonus. Feidorowicz is built similarly to New England Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski, and is considered a good blocker and great receiver. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Feidorowicz in the Texans starting lineup come week one. Jadeveon Clowney and Xavier Su’a-Filo are the last two draft picks that remain unsigned. Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on Jeff Luhnow’s upcoming trip to Japan.
“The Astros have not had a presence in Japan,” Luhnow said. “We signed Kaz Matsui back in the day [2008-10], and we scout Japanese players in the big international events, so we felt we like we had enough information on Tanaka to be a competitor and to bid on him. I feel like the flow of Japanese players is going to continue.
- Zachary Levine (Baseball Prospectus) on Dallas Keuchel‘s wonderful season.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Astros exploring the benefits of yoga.
- Astros tweet of the day…
To be fair, the #Astros would have lost this game 8-1 last year. So… baby steps?
— Archbishop Deshaies (@HouCounterplot) May 23, 2014
For Minnesota to trade Love, they would need the combination of draft picks, young talent and salary shedding back. Since both the Rockets and Wolves are already over the salary cap for next season, a third team with cap room would need to be brought in to move contracts around.
- The Houston Chronicle Rockets writers held a roundtable discussion on the upcoming offseason.
- Luke Petkac (Bleacher Report) tells us how to fix the Rockets defense.
- Rockets tweets of the day…
— Rockets Insider (@Rockets_Insider) May 19, 2014
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on the Texans veterans excited to work with the rookies.
“He’s obviously got a ton of potential. He’s a freakish athlete,” linebacker Brian Cushing said. “The size, the speed is extremely rare. Anytime you’re the first pick in the draft, you’re probably pretty good at football. We’re expecting some big things out of him and everyone is. But for the most part, we’re just trying to instill that mindset to get better every single day. He’s going to do a great job but at the same time, he’s got a lot of work to do and a lot of learning to do. He’s very young right now but it’s a good thing. It’s a good thing because he’s got a ton of potential and he hasn’t even scratched the surface yet.”
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) says the Texans and Andre Johnson should cut ties.
- James Flynt (Houston Chronicle) on the importance of the Texans O-line in 2014.
- Texans tweet of the day…
CJ Fiedorowicz was first of 2 picks in 3rd round. Texans have 8 of 10 picks under contract. OTAs start Tuesday.
— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) May 23, 2014