2014 was supposed to be a rebound year for the Houston Astros. A year where we’d see improved hitting and pitching. A year where we wouldn’t see 100 losses. A year where we wouldn’t end up in last place for the fourth straight time. So far, the Astros look nothing like that. The Astros lost
again to the Texas Rangers, this time by a score of 4-0. The Astros managed to have 11 hits, yet put up a big, fat, large GOOSE EGG on the scoreboard. Another night, another loss. Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
- John Manuel (Baseball America) on potential Astros #1 pick Tyler Kolek.
But Kolek is bigger than any of them, a mammoth young man who stands 6-foot-5 and checks in at 250 pounds. As one crosschecker put it, “Power comes from a combination of arm speed and arm strength. This is a big guy with a quick arm.
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) preview the Astros/Rangers series.
- Jose de Jesus Ortiz (Houston Chronicle) on Jonathan Singleton’s ETA.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— MoiseKapenda Bower (@moisekapenda) May 13, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on how “Choke City” became “Clutch City”.
Decades removed, with the pain long since replaced by the exultation of championships that still force a smile as if he is back on one of those parade-route fire trucks, Tomjanovich can still see those words taunting him, leaping from both Houston morning newspapers.
- Xiane (TheDreamShake) talks about the Rockets offseason.
- Stephen Babb (Bleacher Report) asks if the Rockets can fix their defense with their current team.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
- James Palmer (CSN Houston) on what drives Jadeveon Clowney.
A lot comes with being the No. 1. In people’s minds anything short of being a perennial Pro Bowler is failure. Only six of the 29 first-overall picks that are eligible for the Hall of Fame have entered Canton. On more of a short term success outlook, only five first overall picks have gone on to win the NFL Rookie of the Year Award.
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) spoke with Bob McNair who is pleased with the Texans draft.
- Capt Ron (BattleRedBlog) on the uncertainty of the RT position.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— Mike K (@Zepp1978) May 12, 2014