Just when you think, “Oh my! The Houston Astros actually come up clutch,” the Astros still know how to disappoint you. A two-out, two-run single by Jose Altuve gave the Astros the 4-3 lead in the 9th. A 55-minute rain delay gave Astros fans a short feeling of a win, before the bullpen did what they do best, blow the game. Anthony Bass blew the save and Paul Clemens allowed the walk-off loss. What’s new?!? At least George Springer hit another home run! Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
The Montreal Expos had interest in drafting Bo out of school, but his mother was so determined to have him go to college that every team knew Bo would be a waste of a pick. He didn’t play professional baseball until after he attended the University of Iowa.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) with the latest news and notes.
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) provides us with the latest injury updates.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
Astros bullpen entered the day with a 6.14 ERA, more than full run worse than anyone. Two NL teams were under 2. One AL team was under 3
— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) May 11, 2014
There was an interesting segment the other night on TNT’s Inside the NBA, discussing the Houston Rockets’ quest for a third star. Howard Beck, formerly of The New York Times, mentioned Rajon Rondo, Dirk, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, and even Lebron James as possible targets for Houston this offseason. None of this is really earth-shattering. Daryl Morey’s belief that this team is still missing a “third star” has been publicly documented. But should the Rockets pursue a third gun and if so, who would be the best target and can any of them even be had?
- David Weiner (Clutchfans) updates us on the Rockets salary cap.
- Xiane (TheDreamShake) recaps the season that was.
- Rockets tweet of the weekend…
Perhaps this series is more embarrassing for the Rockets than the Blazers.
— Ariel Lockhart (@AuNaturale_L7) May 11, 2014
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on Jadeveon Clowney making his family proud.
An oversized young boy growing larger and larger inside a tiny one-bedroom apartment in a small Southern town, sleeping in the same bed with his overworked mother after his age reached double digits and living without a jailed, absentee father.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) says the Texans should give Tom Savage time to develop.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on the Texans round six picks.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) May 10, 2014