Major League Baseball announced all the details for the annual Civil Rights game that will be played at Minute Maid Park on May 30th. The Houston Astros and Baltimore Orioles will face off in the match, and they will be wearing uniforms from the Baltimore Negro League. The Astros will be wearing the Houston Eagles jerseys and the Orioles will be wearing the Baltimore Elite Giants uniforms. Click here for all the details of the ’14 Civil Rights Game. Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) spoke with Dallas Keuchel who is excited to face and old friend in Drew Smyly.
“Oh we talk every week. Pitching, how’s everything going, when are you you going to get married … that sort of thing,” Keuchel said. “It’s just kind of one of those special bonds.”
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) spoke with Jarred Cosart who wants the Texans to take Mack.
- AstrosCounty gives us a history lesson on the Houston Eagles.
- Astros tweets of the day…
Altuve’s batting avg of .271, 23 points better than any #Astros teammate with > 40 at-bats, ranks 84th in MLB. Fowler .248/127th is next.
— Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) May 8, 2014
- D.J. Foster (Bleacher Report) on Chandler Parson’s contract.
While Parsons certainly expected to have NBA success, Morey was wise to lock him up long term and give him some financial security that second-round picks can’t take for granted.
- Clutch (ClutchFans) on the Rockets’ critical offseason.
- Reid Laymance (Houston Chronicle) says the Rockets players are happy Kevin McHale is returning.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Anyone else have 1st stage #Rockets depression? This is just the start… symptoms include denial, illusions, & DVR recordings of old games.
— Hiren Joshi (@htown747) May 7, 2014
Drafting Jadeveon Clowney is in no way a guarantee – defensive linemen taken at the top of the draft fail at as high a rate as quarterbacks do, just with less fanfare – but he isn’t considered to be a risk. Clowney is as much a lock as any player in this draft, with most experts saying that at worst he will be pretty good.
- Gergg Doyel (CBS Sports) says the Texans don’t have to take Manziel, but can’t let the Cowboys take him.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on the Texans installing a new defense.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) May 7, 2014