After scoring a total of 15 runs in the last two games offensively, the Astros managed to put up an egg against the reigning AL Cy Young winner Max Scherzer. Jarred Cosart‘s effort was a complete waste after throwing seven innings, allowing just four hits, three walks, and one unearned run, while striking out three in his best start of the season. The Astros managed just five baserunners with two of them making outs on the base-paths. Two caught-stealings combined with two errors on the field won’t win the Astros many games this season. Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
- David Coleman (Crawfish Boxes) on the #1 overall pick not being a part of “The Plan”.
The reason those No. 1 overall picks probably weren’t part of the plan is that one or two players won’t save a franchise. What’s more, the chances of a No. 1 pick being a transformative guy at the major league level are pretty small.
- Astros County gives us his thoughts on why the Astros offense has picked up.
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) talks about the Astros/Tigers series.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Ausmus says he still thinks of Astros as a National League team. Says going against them doesn’t tug on heart string at this point
— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) May 5, 2014
“It was an up and down year,” Lin said. “A lot of good things and a lot of bad things. A lot of adjusting. I would go through stretches where I’d play about 35, 40 minutes consistently and then back down to 15-to-20 – just a lot of up and down. One thing I want to work on is just being able to be more even-keeled throughout the course of a season. A player I want to look more at is (Manu) Ginobili and what he’s done. Maybe not so much his game because we’re very different, but his approach in terms of coming off the bench and what that looks like and how to be effective every night and how to maintain a consistent level of aggression.”
- Randy Harvey (Houston Chronicle) says the pressure is now on the Rockets’ management.
- Clutchfans (Video) with full clips of Rockets exit interviews.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
I’m having withdrawals already from not seeing the #Rockets play! Help me! Lol
— Adam Abramson (@Adam_Abramson1) May 5, 2014
- John McClain (CSN Houston) ranks the Texans all-time draft picks.
For instance, nobody can make a legitimate argument against receiver Andre Johnson, the third overall pick in 2003, being the best draft choice in Texans history. He’s the first Texans player who’ll have a bona-fide chance to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- James Palmer (CSN Houston) on J.J. Watt‘s new friend.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) – Bob McNair’s comments on Jadeveon Clowney.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 5, 2014