Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reports the Rockets have decided to keep Kevin McHale for another season. The Rockets head coach had a team option for this upcoming season and it appears GM Daryl Morey thinks McHale deserves another chance with this roster. McHale was heavily criticized by fans at times this season and you can be sure that everyone, from ownership to the fans, believes the Rockets need to advance much farther in the playoffs next season. Check out the rest of the links for more in Houston sports.
- Jose de Jesus Ortiz (Houston Chronicle) on Colin McHugh.
“I think that he’s handled himself quite well. I believe that he has a great mindset and a great temperament to be a starting pitcher. We believe he’s going to continue to have success. Do we think he’s going to go out and go eight scoreless or eight innings every time out? The odds will tell you probably not. But if he continues to pitch efficiently the way he’s pitching he’s going to continue to help our progress.”
- Howard Chen (CSN Houston) on Dallas Kuechel’s loss of control.
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on Josh Fields being removed from the closer role.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
Both the Mariners and the Astros should get losses for this game
— keithlaw (@keithlaw) May 3, 2014
- Jerome Solomon (Houston Chronicle) says their plenty of blame to go around.
Is it McHale’s fault that his best offensive player is also his worst defensive player? Is it McHale’s fault that Beverley, his off-the-bench defensive stopper, doesn’t come off the bench? Is it McHale’s fault that on the play that could bring the Rockets home to a raucous crowd for a Game 7, he had to have Parsons chasing Williams, er, I mean Lillard, because he has no quality wing depth?
- Rahat Huq (Red94) on how the Rockets fell to the Blazers.
- Brett Pollakoff (ProBasketballTalk) on what’s next for the Rockets.
- Rockets tweet of the weekend…
Consolation for Rockets: you have to fail before you learn to succeed. Kobe/Shaq, MJ/Pippen didn’t win ‘ship in year one either. — Yannis Koutroupis (@YannisNBA) May 3, 2014
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on the Texans massive decision.
The most unnerving aspect of it all, though, is how, despite all the film, all the scouting, all the research, winning or losing in the draft is something of a crapshoot. Manziel could be the next young star quarterback or the next Tim Tebow. Clowney is a highly talented but much-criticized defender.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) with some pre-draft quotes.
- CSN Houston (Video) with a video on a water-balloon fight during J.J. Watt‘s softball game.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
Post HR selfie celebration at the JJ Watt Charity Softball Classic! pic.twitter.com/p4gFP2n9pg