Houston Astros Minor League Players Of The Month: April
Every month I will take a look at the best hitters and pitchers for each Astros Minor League team. With the Astros having one of the best minor league systems in the MLB, every month will be fun to see who performed best for each team. Here are the top hitters and pitchers for April.
AAA: Oklahoma City Redhawks
HITTER: Jon Singleton, 1B
Singleton, Houston’s #4 rated prospect according to MLB.com, had a great month of April. After struggling in his time in AAA last season he has really got it going this season. Most people expect to see Singleton in Houston sometime this season.
- April Stats: 26 G, .293 BA/.398 OBP/.646 SLG, 23 R, 6 2B, 3B, 9 HR, 27 RBI, 18 BB/31 SO
PITCHER: Rudy Owens, LHP
Acquired in the Wandy Rodriguez trade in 2012, Owens had a great month of April. Owens had to have foot surgery last April which caused him to miss most of the season. He got assigned to OKC to start the season and has met expectations at this point.
- April Stats: 2-0, 3.95 ERA, 27.1 IP, 24 H, 12 ER, 2 BB, 26 SO, 0.7 BB/9, 8.6 SO/9, 13.0 SO/BB
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Preston Tucker, OF
Tucker has done nothing but hit since he joined the Astros organization in 2012 out of Florida. Tucker had a good showing in Lancaster and Corpus last year. He started this season in CC but will probably promote to OKC very soon.
- April Stats: 26 G, .295 BA/.357 OBP/.552 SLG, 18 R, 9 2B, 6 HR, 17 RBI, 8 BB/16 SO
PITCHER: Thomas Shirley, LHP
Shirley really wasn’t much of a prospect coming into this season since he is 25 years old in AA. But he has pitched well everywhere he has gone in the organization and had a fantastic April.
- April Stats: 2-2, 1.27 ERA, 28.1 IP, 18 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 34 SO
A+: Lancaster Jethawks
HITTER: Tony Kemp, 2B
Kemp has got off to a great start this season. A 5th-round pick in the 2013 draft, he does a lot of things well. He seems like a guy who could move through the system fast.
- April Stats: 26 G, .311 BA/.416 OBP/.495 SLG, 32 R, 7 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 10 SB, 15 BB/12 SO
PITCHER: Lance McCullers, RHP
This was a tough one due to the number of quality pitchers at Lancaster. Also considered Josh Hader, Vincent Velasquez and Kyle Smith. McCullers had a great first month in the hitter friendly park. I cant wait to see what he can do in Corpus.
- April Stats: 1-1, 2.57 ERA, 28.1 IP, 21 H, 8 ER, 12 BB, 33 SO, 3.8 BB/9, 10.4 SO/9, 2.75 SO/BB
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Brett Phillips, OF
The 19 year old Phillips struggled last season in QC. He got a fresh start this season with QC and has made the most of it so far.
- April Stats: 23 G, .301 BA/.394 OBP/.446 SLG, 11 R, 3 3B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 2 SB, 14 BB/17 SO
PITCHER: Gonzalo Sanudo, RHP
Sanudo is a 22 year old out of Mexico. He dominated as a relief pitcher last season, but is been stretched out this season and has been equally as dominant this season giving up only 1 ER in 18 IP.
- April Stats: 3-0, 0.50 ERA, 18.0 IP, 12 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 14 SO, 1.0 BB/9, 7.0 SO/9