The NBA has rescinded Dwight Howard‘s game four technical foul according to Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle. In case you forgot (how could you), Howard received the technical foul simply for breathing on Joel Freeland. I challenge you to offer me a better reason. Portland hit the free throw and of course the game went into overtime. You think that point made a difference? That’s the second time the NBA admitted a mistake in this series, both really hurting the Rockets. Check out the rest of the links for more on Houston sports.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Astros making changes on defensive positioning.
Defensive efficiency, which is simply the percentage of balls in play converted to outs, has the Astros in a better place as the sixth-best team in the American League through Sunday. Some of that ranking is owed to the pitching, but it’s nonetheless a turnaround from 2013.
- Anthony Boyer (Crawfish Boxes) shares his thoughts on Collin McHugh‘s hot start.
- Brian McTggart (MLB.com) with a bunch of Astros notes.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Now that the Astros have “perfected” shifting, is there any chance they can work on perfecting base running?
— John Royal (@John_Royal) April 29, 2014
- Miles Wray (Hardwood Paroxsym) on the difference between Dwight Howard and Omer Asik defending LaMarcus Aldridge.
In Asik, the Rockets have a solution that’s as close to perfect as possible. But by waiting until Game 3 to finally give Asik a start (and starter’s minutes) over Jones, the Rockets had already surrendered two 40-point games to Aldridge, their deficit in the series nearly unsurmountable. The Rockets have gravely misused Asik—by not using him nearly enough.
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) says late-game mistakes are dooming the Rockets.
- Damon Jones, Moochie Norris, Mike Meltser (CSN Houston) (Video) breakdown the Rockets/Blazers series.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Eight teams in NBA history have rallied from 3-1 deficit to win a best-of-seven series. Three of them (including ’95 Rockets) won NBA title.
— Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) April 29, 2014
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) says the Texans will take a quarterback, but it’s a matter of when.
I believe if the Texans trade down a few spots and Manziel is there, they’ll take him. I think if he’s gone, it’ll come down to outside linebacker Khalil Mack or quarterback Blake Bortles.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) on Jon Gruden’s thoughts regarding Derek Carr and the Texans.
- David Miniel (FanSided) on the Raven’s potential interest in a Texans quarterback.
- Texans tweet of the day…
And pancakes has completely flipped over: “After watching their sack total plunge from 44 to 31 They must select Jadeveon Clowney” #Texans
— Mike K(lowney) (@Zepp1978) April 29, 2014
- For those interested, you can find Hobby Center tickets for Evita, performing at Sarofim Hall.