Houston Rockets SF Robert Covington was named D-League Rookie of the Year this weekend. Covington, 23, played in just 7 games for the Rockets this season, spending most of his time with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the D-League. There, Covington averaged a little more than 23 points and 9 rebounds a game as he continues to help lead the Vipers towards a D-League championship. With a strong summer and offseason, Covington can earn himself a spot on the Rockets bench next season. Check out the rest of the links for more on Houston sports.
“It’s frustrating, especially for me,” Qualls said. “We had a chance to win the game. (Brett Oberholtzer) pitched his heart out. He’s been battling sickness as well and he did a heck of a job, and to come away with nothing and to see them celebrate on the field is never a good feeling.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the red-hot Jonathan Singleton.
- Ray Kuhn (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on Matt Dominguez‘s blunder.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
Vincent Velasquez could very well be the Astros’ ace for years. 2017 postseason rotation Velasquez Foltynewicz McCullers Cosart Appel
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Robert Covington being named D-League Rookie of the Year.
Covington averaged 23.2 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.4 steals in 42 games with the Vipers. He was the D-League All Star game MVP when he scored 22 of his D-League All Star record 33 points in the final six minutes.
- Ben DuBose (Clutchfans) goes behind the numbers in the Rockets/Blazers series.
- Brett David Roberts (Space City Scoop) says Omer Asik will prove invaluable during the playoffs.
- Rockets tweet of the weekend…
— Josh (JR) Reese (@dyslexicsports) April 19, 2014
Watt’s value to the Texans is much higher than the salary he’d get if he played the 2015 season on this option salary. In theory, the Texans could hang on to Watt through 2016 by using this option for 2015 and the franchise tag the next season.
- John McClain on the Texans players getting a week off for Easter.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) on new Texans player Ricardo Matthews.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
— ClowNRG (@The_Reliant) April 20, 2014