The Houston Texans were awarded three compensatory picks for the 2014 NFL Draft. The picks will be in the 4th round, 6th round, and Mr. Irrelevant in the 7th round. The Texans lost Connor Barwin, Alan Ball, Justin Forsett, Donnie Jones, Glover Quin, and James Casey while adding Greg Jones, Shane Lechler, and some dude named Ed Reed. The added three picks gives the Texans a total of 11 picks in the 2014 NFL Draft. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Shawn Ramsey (FoxSports) previews the 2014 Astros.
The Astros are still projected to finish last in the AL West, but that doesn’t mean Houston won’t see improvement this season. An improved bullpen, paired with a rotation that has the ability to pitch deep into games, will be key for the Astros to improve on their 51 wins from last season.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Astros 25-man roster.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on Marwin Gonzalez‘s hard work paying off.
- Astros tweet of the day…
#Astros beat the Braves 7-5 behind a 13-hit attack. Fowler (3×4), Grossman (2×5), Altuve (2×5) and Hoes (2×4) all with multi-hit games.
— Houston Astros (@astros) March 25, 2014
By that math, the Rockets can offer Anthony a four-year contract starting at approximately $15.7 million. While a rough projection, it’s a fairly accurate number since that $46.4 million would be committed to 11 different players, one shy of the league-imposed 12-player roster minimum.
- Jenny Dial Creech (Houston Chronicle) on the increase in assists leading to wins.
- Forrest Walker (Red94) on the Rockets and the bullies.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
“The ball movement just wasn’t the same tonight. We didn’t have a James Harden” – Al Jefferson.
— Rockets Insider (@Rockets_Insider) March 25, 2014
- Chris Burke (Sports Illustrated) on the Texans drafting a quarterback but not necessarily at number one.
“There’s not a lot of separation, and there are more quarterbacks than just three,” O’Brien said. “The three guys everybody talks about — Blake, Teddy [Bridgewater] and Johnny [Manziel] — those guys are good players, have had great college careers. But there are other guys out there. You’ve got [A.J.] McCarron, you’ve got [Zach] Mettenberger, you’ve got Logan Thomas, you’ve got [Tom] Savage, you’ve got [Jimmy] Garappolo, I could go right down the list.”
- Patrick D. Starr (State Of The Texans) says the Texans can now move forward.
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on Brandon Brooks preparing for life after the NFL.
- Texans tweet of the day…
#Texans gain 3 comp picks in the 2015 NFL Draft. 4th rd pick 35 #135 overall, 6th rd pick 35 #211 overall & Mr. Irrelevant pick #256
— Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) March 24, 2014