The Houston Rockets came into this week losing their last three contests in a row. Entering Monday night, the Rockets needed a win to avoid their first four-game losing streak of the season, and they took care of things easily against the Utah Jazz. That game started a stretch of five games v.s. under .500 opponents. The Rockets need to take care of business against the NBA’s “weak links” and this four-game stretch against the Timberwolves, Cavaliers, Bobcats, and 76’ers should mean an easy five-game winning streak for the boys in red. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Peter Gammons (Gammdons Daily) on George Springer and Carlos Correa.
Finally, there is Correa. “Spring training with the major league team is pretty good,” he says. This is a person with unusual poise. The morning of the 2012 draft, we had breakfast at the Secaucus Embassy Suites, and as a 17-year old, the only comparable teenager I could think of in terms of looking one in the eye and conversation was Stanton; hmmm…their mothers each grew up in the same neighborhood in Ponce, Puerto Rico and Correa’s brother is named Giancarlo…
- David Barron (Houston Chronicle) updates us on the CSN Houston.
- Jayne (What The Heck, Bobby?) on the Astros cutting several MiLB’ers.
- Astros tweet of the day…
On the bright side, I love the Astros’ uniforms, and there’s no better mascot than @OrbitAstros.
— Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) March 18, 2014
- Jeff Balke (Houston Press) on the Rockets on-the-court influence to the CSN situation.
And all this has occurred amid the best season for the Rockets in 15 years, nevermind the three-game setback this past week. This is a team that is racking up wins at a nearly franchise record pace, beating some of the best teams in the league and doing it in high flying, high scoring fashion. Yet, they remain dark on the TV sets of 60 percent of Houstonians.
- Jerome Solomon (Houston Chronicle) says the Utah Jazz game could not have come at a better time.
- Michael Ma (Space City Scoop) on the last night’s fight that wasn’t.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
I’ll be at the Rockets Team Shop tomorrow signing autographs from 3:30-4:30pm. I hope to see you there! #RedNation
— Patrick Beverley (@patbev21) March 18, 2014
- Deepi Sidhu (HoustonTexans.com) on the Texans locker room culture.
The former Texan gave high marks to Houston, where he spent his first four seasons in the NFL. Players like Myers helped maintain fairness and social order among rookies and veterans from all walks of life.
“The most successful position groups tend to be the ones with the best organization,” Barwin wrote. “When I was on the Texans, the O-line and D-line were led by savvy veterans like Chris Myers and (former nose tackle) Shaun Cody.”
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) says the Texans met with Bridgewater yesterday.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) says Mark Sanchez and the Texans would be a terrible fit.
- Texans tweet of the day…
If the Texans opted not to pick a QB at 1, 2014 would be a pretty good case study in how much QB play matters
— Mike Meltser (@MikeMeltser) March 17, 2014