It was tough for Donatas Motiejunas early in the season. He sat on the bench and never saw the court except for in mop-up time in the 4th quarter. He believed he deserved playing time but Kevin McHale was sticking with his rotation. Eventually though, Motiejunas earned his way onto the court and he’s seen over 15 minutes of play in all but two games since January 15th. He’s been an energy boost off the bench and a difference maker in a few of the Rockets’ wins. Check out the rest of the links for more.
“My line is always open for him,” Hunter said. “When he calls, I see, ‘George Springer,’ I’m like, ‘What’s up, little guy?’
“Tremendous talent. Fast, strong, power, can run the bases, do it all. … It’s like the Mike Trouts, Andrew McCutchens, the George Springers. When I was that age, I was those guys. And those are the guys you really want on your team, because they can be game changers. And those are the guys you give that opportunity early, and he should be in the big leagues.”
- Chris Cotillo (SB Nation) spoke with Jeff Luhnow about several of topics.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on Springer/DeShields and the new replay rule.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Greis (@AmazingGreis) March 2, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Donatas Motiejunas finally getting his chance.
In a second season spent paying dues and waiting his turn, Motiejunas desperately wanted playing time. His frustration grew. The reminders that his chance could come did little to ease his impatience.
- Jason Friedman (Rockets.com) on the next important 2-week stretch for the Rockets.
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Greg Smith having surgery.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Rockets just had Aaron Brooks on the scoreboard say, “It’s Gametime!” Might want to update that.
— ClutchFans (@clutchfans) March 2, 2014
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on the Texans free agency plans.
The NFL salary cap for the 2014 season is set at $133 million, up $10 million from 2013. And it’s plenty more than the initial $126-$128 million projections.
- Ben Rohrbach (Yahoo Sports) on a Texans cheerleader going to prom with a high school football player.
- Ultimate Texans (Houston Chronicle) on Watt lifting a tire. A big one.
- Texans tweet of the day…
I’m amazed at all these mock drafts that have the Texans taking Jadeveon Clowney.
— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) February 28, 2014