The Texans media had a chance to meet with potential draft picks and as expected, all prospects believe they should go first overall. One interesting thing to note is that Clowney has a very close relationship with NEW Texans Strength and Conditioning Coach Craig Fitzgerald. Could that mean something? We will find out eventually. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on prospect mini-camp, plus many more notes.
Astros director of player development Quinton McCracken said the camp will feature some of the top arms in the organization, some players should who could fill in on the Major League side and pitchers who could be headed to a full-season club for the first time so they can get stretched out and get a jump start of learning throwing programs and working with new stuff.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on why Japhet Amador is not with the Astros.
- Jason Collette (FanGraphs) takes a look at Robbie Grossman’s 2013 season.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
Dexter Fowler asks the questions in this morning’s ‘Word on the Street’ trivia game. pic.twitter.com/zUqFqX4147
— Houston Astros (@astros) February 21, 2014
- Adam Wexler (CSN Houston) on new Rocket’s player Jordan Hamilton.
“The main thing is coming in and just going hard,” Hamilton said. “Whether I get minutes or I don’t, if It comes down to it, being the biggest cheerleader on the bench. I’ve been watching the Rockets a lot this year, they are a great team. We do have a chance to go far in the playoffs and possibly get a championship, so I’m just happy to be a part of it.”
- Jason Friedman (Rockets.com) spoke with James Harden about the Rockets.
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) with an update on James Harden’s injuries.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Judge Hughes to Rockets lawyer: “Can I recuse myself? I made Hakeem Olajuwon a citizen in 1997.”
— David Barron (@dfbarron) February 21, 2014
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on confident Jadeveon Clowney.
When asked about his greatest strength, the 6-5 1/4, 266-pound defensive end pointed to his speed. Clowney hopes to run a 4.4 time in the 40 on Monday. He said if he doesn’t get a 4.4, he’ll be in the low 4.5s. Either would be impressive for a man of his size.
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on Teddy Bridgewater.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) on the quarterback’s measurements at the combine.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
2 free agent names generating better-than-expected interest: Rams OL Rodger Saffold, being looked at as a guard, & #Texans NT Earl Mitchell
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 23, 2014