Expected to be in the running for the first base gig this spring, the Astros announced that Japhet Amador is not likely to join the team anytime soon. According to Jeff Luhnow, Amador is in Mexico tending to a family emergency. With Amador out, Jesus Guzman, Jonathan Singleton, and Brett Wallace will battle it out for playing time at first base. There’s no expected return for Amador, which leads some to believe it could be several weeks or even longer before he returns. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on Roger Clemens talking with the Astros pitchers.
“I love it because when I was young, I was fortunate to have some veteran players around that I wasn’t afraid to ask pointed questions,” Clemens said. “I paid attention to detail and enjoyed watching. If I can fire them up and get them all excited and still give them a little reality …”
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on a few “late” Astros.
- Marius Peyton (CSN Houston) (Video) spoke with Jarred Cosart.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said Japhet Amador won’t report to camp anytime soon because of family situation. They’re not expecting him
— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) February 19, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Rockets players being loose as the deadline approaches.
”We’re pretty loose,” Rockets guard Jeremy Lin said. “I think we’re all at the point, we’ve had a lot of rumors all year. Whatever happens, happens, but we’re pretty loose about it. There has not been much conversation about it this year.”
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Dwight Howard saying he made the right decision this offseason.
- Vinny Hardy (Wildcatbluenation.com) on how Rajon Rondo would fit in Houston.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
One thing I do enjoy about the deadline is the #Rockets have a GM who thinks big. Always has chased the big fish always wants to improve.
— Hiren Joshi (@htown747) February 19, 2014
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on the depth of the 2014 NFL draft class.
Four days before the annual scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock on Tuesday said he believes the collection of talent that will soon enter the league features at least 20 impact players and is loaded through the middle rounds.
- BattleRedBlog gave out their 2013 Texans season awards.
- Kevin McGuire (CFT) on Steve Spurrier saying the Texans should take Clowney.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Just landed in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine. Flight was full of current and former Texans coaches…should be a fun, busy weekend
— Daniel Gotera (@DTGoteraKHOU) February 19, 2014