Both the Houston Astros and Houston Rockets claim they are each owed over $27 million from CSN Houston. What could that money have gotten the Astros? Maybe Masahiro Tanaka and/or Jose Abreu. And the Rockets? It would help pay for James Harden and Dwight Howard’s contracts. $27 million. That’s a lot of money for someone to be owed. Good luck CSN Houston! Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on the Astros long-term plan.
The plan was laid out in painstaking detail. Jeff Luhnow followed up a phone interview with then-team president George Postolos by sending him a 25-page document spelling out his blueprint for rebuilding the franchise if he were to be hired as the Astros’ general manager.
That was only a few months after the Astros wrapped up their worst season in team history by losing 106 games in 2011, their penultimate season in the National League. At the time, the Major League club was aging, the Minor League system needed more talent and depth, and a dramatic overhaul was needed.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Astros cutting down on their strikeouts.
- CSN Houston (Video) on George Springer getting ready for 2014.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Common thread at today’s media event in Phoenix. Many general managers mentioned the #Astros as a very dangerous team for the future.
— Bernie Pleskoff (@BerniePleskoff) February 19, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on the trade deadline bringing mixed emotions to some Rockets players.
“I don’t know what’s going on so I don’t know how they could,” McHale said. “There’s some weird games. One of the odd games is always before the trade deadline. I think there’s angst. If you don’t do anything, some guys that want to be there are happy. Some guys want to be traded, they’re (angry) they don’t get traded.”
- David Barron (Houston Chronicle) on CSN Houston owing both the Rockets and Astros a lot of money.
- Adam Wexler (CSN Houston) says the Rockets are in am improved position at this year’s deadline.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
#Rockets‘ Dwight Howard: “I’m happy in Houston. We’re playing great basketball right now. Everything is falling into place.”
— Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) February 19, 2014
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on Mike Mayock’s opinion of the 2014 QB draft class.
NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock could not deny Johnny Manziel’s “it” factor, saying Tuesday the former Texas A&M star quarterback at times plays like a combination of Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie.
But Manziel’s lack of stability and inefficiency in the pocket may be a problem for NFL teams, leaving ex-Louisville standout Teddy Bridgewater as currently the most viable prospect to stand behind center in Week 1 this season, Mayock said during a media conference call.
- Patrick D. Starr (State Of The Texans) on Earl Mitchell winning an award.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) caught up with Brennan Williams.
- Texans tweet of the day…
I want Manziel, but I never get what I want with the #Texans so I’m not sweating it.
— Short Sighted Rob (@ShortSightedGuy) February 19, 2014