Both James Harden and Dwight Howard each scored eight points, though Harden saw 10 more minutes (23) than Howard (13), as the Eastern Conference defeated the Western Conference 163-155. Howard led the West in rebounding with 11, and even dished out 3 assists in his short playing time. Six of Harden’s seven shots were from long range, hitting just two of them on his way to putting up a -16 while on the court, second-worst on the squad (Kevin Love -17). The Rockets get back to action this Wednesday night against the Los Angeles Lakers. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on Bo Porter trying to establish the “Astros Way” in his second season as manager.
“We are in the process of creating the Astros way,” he said. “Our younger guys, I wanted to make sure that they’re following the right people. I stressed that to our veteran guys, when you are a young player — and we’ve all been there before — you look around the clubhouse and you say, ‘OK, wow this guy’s been here 10 years, I mean, I wonder how he’s been able to accomplish that?’
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) recaps Day one at Astros camp.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on Asher Wojciechowski.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Brett Wallace’s off season adjustments paying off. He put on a show in batting practice today.
— Marius Payton (@mpaytonCSN) February 16, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Dwight Howard, the star.
Howard’s playful, even comical nature might not appeal to everyone, but there seemed to be few criticisms about it before he left the Magic and stayed for just one unsatisfying season with the Lakers. The criticisms have become reasons to denigrate, as if they reveal a character flaw, a lack of seriousness that has held him back as a player or contributed to the departure from Orlando.
- CSN Houston (Video) with a Rockets roundtable featuring Matt Bullard, Jason Friedman, and Craig Ackerman.
- Karan Madhok (SLAM) did a Q&A with Yao Ming.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
#Rockets‘ Harden had 8 points, 5 assists and Howard had 8 points, 11 rebounds but West lost 163-155 in highest-scoring all-star game ever.
— Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) February 17, 2014
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) spoke with D.J. Swearing about O’Brien’s team-first mentality.
“He seems like a coach that’s going to be a great disciplined coach that we need, that I’ve been used to since high school, somebody that’s going to put the team first in everything he does,” Swearinger said at a Play60 event on Thursday.
- Charean Williams (Star Telgram) on Johnny Manziel.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on breakout candidate Devier Posey.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— Jerry Rice (@JerryRice) February 10, 2014