Both D.J. Swearinger and Jadeveon Clowney were teammates at the University South Carolina, and it seems like Clowney has been in touch with Swearinger about the team’s plans. Clowney obviously wants the Texans to take him #1 and be paired with J.J. Watt and Swearinger is doing all he can to support his former teammates. We will find out if the once former teammates will be reunited next year in their Battle Red jerseys.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Astros spending.
Astros leadership was firm: What they spent this offseason was not a product of pressure from outside the organization. Both Luhnow and owner Jim Crane said that neither the league nor union has ever communicated with them about altering their approach.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) did a Q&A with Bo Porter.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) with Biggio’s response to Jeter’s announcement.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Derek Jeter will retire with a lower WAR than Jeff Bagwell
— Jeff Sullivan (@based_ball) February 12, 2014
- Scott Rafferty (Hardwood Paroxysm) with a great read on James Harden.
Make no mistake about it, Harden is still the best two-guard in the league, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that the position is so bare nowadays. His biggest competitor, Kobe Bryant, has missed all but six games. There’s Dwyane Wade, too, but his knees have kept him sidelined for most of the season. After that, you’re looking at the likes of DeMar DeRozan, Arron Afflalo, Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson and Wesley Matthews. Good players, but not franchise changers. Harden’s 23.6 points, 5.3 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game are much better than what those aforementioned players are putting up, but they’re kind of disappointing.
- David Barron (Houston Chronicle) on how Comcast buying Time Warner Cable could help Rockets fans in Texas.
- Troy Machir (Sporting News) (Video) of Tracy McGrady throwing off a mound.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
— Ben DuBose (@BenDuBose) February 13, 2014
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on Swearinger and Clowney’s relationship.
“He asks me (about the Texans) every day,” Swearinger said at an NFL Play60 event at Harvard Elementary School in Houston on Thursday. “He asks me every day. Like ‘Bro, what’s the word?’ I’m like, ‘it’s all in your hands. You gotta do what you gotta do for these next three months to make them pick you.’”
- Jennifer Bauer (Click2Houston) on Ed Reed’s stolen $50,000.
- John Kelly (CSN Houston) on Greg Cosell calling Manziel “undraftable”.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) February 13, 2014
Tags: Houston Texans