According to many around the league, the Texans have made a great hire bringing in former Miami Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine. Gaine was bypassed by Dolphins management for their GM opening, and was let go once Dennis Hickey took over the Dolphins. Gaine is a Bill Parcell’s protege and many believe he deserves to be a GM in this league. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) previews the Houston Astros season.
Owner Jim Crane said that the Astros’ goal is to be baseball’s most improved team.
“I think we can accomplish that,” Crane said. “We’ve added a bunch of players in the offseason, and we’re looking forward to the season. We have more depth with the bats, and they’ve brought in a lot of pitching to the bullpen. We’ll have some competition for a few spots. We’ll definitely be improved. We hope we can get it up above .500 this year.”
- CSN Houston on the Hooks hosting a Double-A matchup at Minute Maid Park.
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on Jarred Cosart’s latest Twitter mishap.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Astros owner Jim Crane says he hopes to hear from Nolan Ryan “any day.” He says “ball is in his court” about rejoining club.
— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) February 10, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on the Rockets offense.
“We want free throws, paint points and open 3s. That’s what we’re trying to do, and the guys all know that. If we can take those shots, can continue to be one of the top teams in the league in paint points, a lot of good stuff will happen.”
- Adam Wexler (CSN Houston) on the Rockets offense running through Howard.
- CSN Houston (Video) with Bill Worrell on the state of the Rockets.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
The Rockets/Suns game on Sunday, Feb. 23 has been moved to ESPN #RedNationRising
— Space City Scoop (@SpaceCity_Scoop) February 10, 2014
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) on the hiring of Brian Gaine.
General manager Rick Smith hired Gaine, who was a candidate to become Miami’s general manager after spending six years in the Dolphins’ personnel department. New Miami general manager Dennis Hickey fired Gaine when he was hired to replace Jeff Ireland.
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on the Texan’s strength of schedule.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) on Wade Smith’s future with the Texans.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Smart move by the Texans to add former Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine to their front office. Highly qualified scout and exec
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) February 10, 2014