The Houston Texans finally announced their new coaching staff and it seems like they will go without an offensive coordinator. That may seem strange to some, but Bill O’Brien will call the plays and be the Head Coach, something similar to Kubiak’s role last season though he did have an “official” offensive coordinator. The Texans also announced the hiring of many other coaches, including one position titled “Director of Football Research”. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on Astros prospect Michael Foltynewicz.
Simply put, Foltynewicz brings the heat. The 22-year-old reached 100 mph on several occasions last season, famously registering 103 on the Whataburger Field scoreboard last May while recording a strikeout for the Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the current roster and the payroll.
- Jayne Hansen (What The Heck, Bobby) interview Mark Appel.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Houston Astros (@astros) February 5, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Omer Asik’s return to the gym.
Rockets center Omer Asik, who has been out the majority of the season with thigh and knee injuries, went through the team’s shootaround on Wednesday before they hosted Phoenix. Asik still hasn’t done any contact practice, but did go through some of the team’s five-on-zero drills and walk-throughs. His teammates were happy the see the big man back in the gym.
- Michael Ma (Space City Scoop) on a new Rockets rumor.
- Jason Friedman (Rockets.com) on the Rockets win against the Suns.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
D12 was dominant 2night going for 34pts, 14rebs & 2 blocks. TJones had 19/9 & 3 swats. THAT allowed for open looks from 3 & HOU went 11-16 — Craig Ackerman (@ca_rockets) February 6, 2014
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) on Johnny Manziel’s special night in Houston.
The last twosome down the runway was Manziel with his good friend, 6-year-old Charlie Dina, who beat cancer. Charlie was pronounced cancer-free after undergoing treatment for stage-four neuroblastoma. He was diagnosed in 2012, and his friendship with Manziel helped him endure two operations and five rounds of chemotherapy and radiation treatment.
- HoustonTexans.com on the Texans officially hiring 16 new assistants.
- HoustonTexans.com (Video) talk with Adam Caplan (ESPN) on the Crennel hire.
- Texans tweet of the day…
One of the Texans coaching positions is “Director of Football Research”. Interesting.
— Brian McIntyre (@brian_mcintyre) February 5, 2014