Astros President Reid Ryan announced that Mark Appel will likely start the season at AA Corpus Christi. Appel, who was the first overall pick in June 2013′s draft, had a 3.79 ERA mostly at Low-A Quad Cities. The 22-year old will be pitching in the Texas League where the average age is around 24-25 years old. If Appel pitches well enough in the Texas League, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him at Minute Maid Park this September. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- Ray Kuhn (Climbing Tal’s Hill) asks if Nelson Cruz could be a good fit in Houston.
Of course, the easy answer, is yes. We know the Astros still have some holes in their outfield, even with George Springer on the horizon, and Nelson Cruz would help in filling those holes. Cruz would also provide a proven, veteran, run producing threat in the middle of the order.
- Alex (AstrosTurf) on Mark Appel headed on the fast track.
- Crawfish Boxes (Podcast) had several great nuggets on Nolan Ryan, Tanaka, and more.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
— Reid Ryan (@robertreidryan) January 25, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Howard NOT being named an ASG starter.
“I didn’t come to Houston to be a starter on the All Star team,” Howard said. “I came to Houston to help this team win a championship. That’s my goal. I’m happy for those guys. I hope to see an exciting All Star game. For me, I want to win a championship. That’s why I’m here.”
- Michael Ma (Space City scoop) recaps a Daryl Morey Q&A answering many different Rockets question.
- Jenny Dial Creech (Houston Chronicle) says the lack of assists are hurting the Rockets lately.
- Rockets tweet of the weekend…
HISTORY! Chandler Parsons just broke Rockets single game record with 10 3-pointers (!!) in a game.
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 25, 2014
- Jerome Solomon (Houston Chronicle) thinks calling plays may be too much for O’Brien to handle.
One coach, however – the offensive coordinator who shall not be named – is indeed less than the rest. O’Brien seems to be headed toward not even naming an offensive coordinator.
No need to be alarmed about that. O’Brien has a long history coaching offense, so he knows how he wants his unit to operate. He will coordinate.
- HoustonTexans.com (Video) with a clip of J.J. Watt being mic’d up at Pro Bowl practice.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) reviewed all Texas receivers in 2013.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
— PDS (@PatDStat) January 24, 2014