The Houston Astros kick off their caravan week today in the Houston area amongst other places. During this week, fans will be able to meet Astros players and staff all around Houston and around Texas as well. The Astros will visit San Antonio, Austin, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and Lafayette, LA, among other areas in an attempt to reach out to their fans before they head to Florida for Spring Training. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- CSN Houston has all you need to know on the Astros caravan which starts today.
The 2014 caravan is presented by Academy Sports + Outdoors and Blue Bell will hit the road on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and will make over 30 stops throughout Houston, central and south Texas, Oklahoma City and Louisiana. The 31-city tour consists of four simultaneous tours in seven days with stops in the Houston area (Jan. 20 – 24), San Antonio (Jan. 21 – 22), Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and Lafayette, LA (Jan. 21-22), Austin (Jan. 23 – 24), Brownsville and McAllen (Jan. 26 – 27) and Oklahoma City (Jan. 27).
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) says it’s a good week to be an Astros fan.
- Jared Webb (AstrosTurf) takes a look at the Jason Castro situation.
- Astrost tweet of the day…
Flying to Houston for the winter caravan for the next few days. Excited to meet all you @astros fans!
— Anthony Bass (@AnthonyBass45) January 19, 2014
- Rahat Huq (Red94) asks if Dwight Howard is a great player.
As is always the case when the Houston Rockets are on TNT, Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal were not at a loss for words when giving their opinions on center Dwight Howard. Shaq said that while Howard was once a great player, he now is just a good one. Barkley, giving new meaning to the term revisionism, stated Howard never had been great. A reader, Losthief, weighs in:
- Jenny Dial Creech (Houston Chronicle) on the Rocket’s opponent today, the Trail Blazers.
- CSN Houston (Video) on Beverley’s potential return tonight.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
From the great Jim Foley: Terrence Jones, 22, is the second youngest Rockets player to score 30 in a game. Hakeem was 47 days younger.
— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) January 19, 2014
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) did a Q&A with Bill O’Brien.
Q. Are you going to call the plays?
A. Yes, the first year I’ll call the plays. I love calling plays. I’ve always enjoyed putting together a game plan.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) with 20 thoughts on the Texans 2013 season.
- Jason La Canfora (CBS Sports) on the Texans front office.
- Texans tweet of the day…
4 QBs playing today. 1st pick n draft, 2nd rd, 3rd rd & 6th rd. Take note #Texans fans. There’s no formula. Just get the right guy
— HoustonSportsTalk (@HSTPodcast) January 19, 2014