Jason Castro is one of two Houston Astros players that filed for arbitration yesterday. Castro made just $496,000 last year, and could command more than $2 million this year. Both the Astros and Castro’s representatives will exchange figures and hope to come to an agreement and avoid an aberration hearing. Jesus Guzman is the other Astros player to file for arbitration. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- Jose De Jesus Ortiz (Houston Chronicle) on Jason Castro and arbitration.
The arbitration filing period began today but Astros assistant general manager David Stearns won’t be surprised if contract talks don’t heat up until closer to Friday’s deadline to exchange figures.
- Reid Laymance (Houston Chronicle) on what Berkman had to say about the signage in LF. Mac Wolff wrote about it as well.
- Lee White (AstrosTurf) on Scott Feldman.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Astros fans take great pride in Minute Maid Park, and the decision to relocate the CL billboards is more than a symbolic gesture by Crane.
— Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) January 15, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on feeding Dwight Howard.
They bounced back on Saturday against the Wizards to at least get Howard touches inside, but the issues demonstrated the ongoing difficulties teams have getting the ball inside with so few post players in the league.
“Feeding the post started being a lost art when the centers started shooting 3s,” McHale said. “You can trace it back to that.”
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on the return of Chandler Parsons.
- Mike Kerns (TheDreamShake) (Podcast) on the Rockets.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 14, 2014
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) says Rick Smith must adjust his personnel eye.
For the first time since he left coaching for personnel at Denver, Texans general manager Rick Smith is working with a head coach who is implementing different offensive and defensive systems.
- Isiah Carey (MyFox26) (Video) tried to speak with Arian Foster yesterday.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on what O’Brien had to say about some top QB prospects.
- Texans tweet of the day…
— Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) January 10, 2014