With the draft about five months away, the Astros are stepping up their draft coverage for June’s amateur draft. Former writers now scouts, Mike Elias and Kevin Goldstein, will talk to the rest of the Astros scouting staff to discuss plans for their first overall pick. Most expect the Astros to select Carlos Rodon, but several other players are candidates as well. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Astros scouts meeting to discuss draft preparations.
Astros amateur scouting director Mike Elias and pro scouting director Kevin Goldstein will both speak with the entirety of the full-time amateur scouting staff in preparation for the upcoming season, when the Astros will pick first overall in the draft for a third straight year.
- Dave Spradley (Crawfish Boxes) asks if Jose Altuve could be the Astros worst player in 2014.
- Greg Thurston (Climbing Tal’s Hill) with some HOF reactions.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) January 11, 2014
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on Patrick Beverley and Pero Antic playing against each other.
Antic did not play when the Hawks were in Houston and Beverley was out on Friday with a broken hand when the Rockets played in Atlanta. But Antic said he saw Beverley’s ability to play in the NBA, if not necessarily to speak Russian, when they were teammates in St. Petersburg.
- Michael Ma (Space City Scoop) (Video) on Chandler Parsons on TNT.
- Sean Newell (Deadspin) on how the Wizards took advantage of the rain delay.
- Rockets tweet of the weekend…
No clue on the Rockets…pointless to try. Just win anyway you can until the team gets healthy.
— Alex Sandoval (@LEXthePEX) January 12, 2014
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on O’Brien building trust.
Ask about his vision for the Texans, though, and his face changes, replaced by lightness and energy. His speech quickens and his clear eyes brighten.
He’ll gladly talk about wanting a flexible team, one that can play in any kind of weather, one that’s not constricted by traditional labels. He’ll gladly tell you what he learned from his coaching mentors.
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) with Texans coaching updates.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on the Texans free agents.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
— Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) January 10, 2014