Owen Daniels was on his way to a fine season before suffering a non-displaced fibula fracture late in the week 5 matchup with the San Francisco 49’ers. Daniels, 31, is scheduled to make $4.5 million in 2014, and the Texans may decide they can spend the money better elsewhere with the emergence of Garrett Graham and Ryan Griffin this past season. Daniels hasn’t played a full 16-game season since 2008, but remains one of the better tight ends in the game when healthy. Check out the rest of the links for more.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on what the Astros learned in 2013.
Perhaps not many expected the Astros to lose quite as many games as they did, but those in charge viewed the season through a larger scope in terms of their rebuilding process. The Astros had kids handling key positions on the diamond and had abundant young arms on the mound with the goal of finding out who can play and who won’t be a part of the future.
- Ray Kuhn (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on the possibility of adding Johan Santana.
- Ray Kuhn (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on Masahiro Tanaka and the Astros.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Greis (@AmazingGreis) December 31, 2013
- Bill Simpson (Space City Scoop) has five roadblocks preventing the Rockets from winning the West.
With a young team that should get better each year, fans have plenty reason to be excited. Still, the Rockets have five major roadblocks to overcome if they want to be the best team in their conference.
- Adam Wexler and Bart Enis (CSN Houston) (Video) break down the latest on the Rockets.
- John Wilmes (Bleacher Report) says the Rockets have one more hurdle to climb to become true contenders.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Against all odds, the Rockets don’t play tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised if they schedule a double-header for us tomorrow to make up for it.
— The Dream Shake (@DreamShakeSBN) December 31, 2013
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on the future of Owen Daniels.
“I try not to [think about it],” Daniels said, affably as always. “Obviously it’s going to be different but from my perspective, film doesn’t lie. I’ve been doing this a long time. Had gotten off the a good start this year. I think I’m one of the leaders and one of the staples of this team. If they choose to keep me my last year of my contract, which I hope they do, that’s great. I’d like to play here and only wear this uniform.”
- Dale Robertson (Houston Chronicle) on Wade Phillips wanting to stay as Texans head coach.
- Dave Zangaro (CSN Houston) on the Texans heading into the offseason.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Case McCoy just pulled off a feat even Matt Schaub and the #Texans couldn’t do this year — throw two pick-sixes in one game.
— Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) December 31, 2013