Even though the Winter Meetings ended a week ago, the Astros made three different acquisitions this past week. The Astros claimed Collin McHugh off waivers, signed Matt Albers, and traded for Jesus Guzman in the last several days. The Astros 40-man roster is currently full following the new additions.
Are the Astros done this offseason? Unlikely. Though the Astros have brought in Albers to join Chad Qualls, they are still likely looking for one more option at the back-end of the bullpen. Jose Veras, Boone Logan, John Axford, Matt Thornton, and Grant Balfour have all signed with other teams this past week. Jesse Crain is one potential option and it would give the Astros a formidable 7-8-9 to close off games.
The Astros also may sign or trade for another bat. Though Guzman has power, he adds to the first base log-jam and isn’t much better than anyone else. I expect the Astros to make a move for a middle infielder and it may be at the expense of a player like Brett Wallace.
I can’t imagine the Astros going after another starter this offseason. After signing Scott Feldman, the Astros have between 7-10 different options to fill out the remainder of the rotation. The season is still a few months away but I think Jarred Cosart, Brad Peacock, Brett Oberholtzer, and Dallas Keuchel are the other members of the rotation. Whatever the case maybe, the Astros have the starting pitching depth to possibly trade away in exchange for help elsewhere.
Astros Articles From The Past Two Weeks At HouseOfHouston
- Astros Acquire Jesus Guzman From Padres
- Astros Claim Collin McHugh Off Waivers From Rockies
- Astros Sign Matt Albers
- Why Astros Fans Should Still Love Jed Lowrie
- News And Notes From The Past Week
- Astros Rule 5 Draft Summary
- Astros Winter Meetings Day Three Roundup
- Astros Acquire Anthony Bass
- Astros Keep The Ball On The Ground With Two New Additions
- Astros Winter Meetings Day Two Roundup
- Four Free Agents That May Interest The Astros
- Four Trade The Astros Should Consider
- Astros Winter Meetings Day One Roundup
- Astros Sign Chad Qualls
Topics: Houston Astros