December 19th is finally here! Many teams have been involved in talks up to this point but it’s still anyone’s game. The Rockets are likely looking for at least two, if not three of the following; a stretch power forward, a backup center, a wing defender, and a first round pick. The Celtics, Sixers, Cavaliers, and Hawks have all been reported as major players in talks for Asik. Other teams such as the Pelicans, Bucks, Bobcats, Trail Blazers, and Suns have been somewhat linked to the talks over the last month. If you think you know who the Rockets are getting, you don’t. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- David G Temple (FanGraphs) makes the case for the Astros to sign Choo.
For the sake of argument, I’m going to start with what the FanGraphs crowdsourcing project came up with in regards to Choo’s contract. There have been rumblings from at least one writer — who, shall we say, has been known to herald players represented by Choo’s agent Scott Boras — that Choo’s camp might be looking for a Jacoby-Ellsbury-type deal. If that is the case, all bets are off. That would not be a very good deal for the Astros.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on the Astros trying to stay a step ahead.
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) on Drayon McLane receiving a lifetime achievement award.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Houston Astros (@astros) December 18, 2013
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on the Asik rumors.
The presumed final full day of Omer Asik’s tenure with the Rockets came and went Wednesday like so many others lately. He went through a rehab session on the practice court in the morning, sat on the bench during the Rockets’ game, and did not play basketball at any point in between.
- Adrian Wojnarowski (Yahoo) with the latest on Asik talks.
- Ken Berger (CBS) with the latest on Asik talks.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Watching that half, like most Rockets games, it looks again as if of all the players mentioned in Asik trades, the 1 they most need is Asik.
— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) December 19, 2013
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) says value should trump position for Texans in April’s draft.
Based on their uninspired performance in Sunday’s loss at Indianapolis, the Texans appear determined to finish 2-14 and earn the first pick in May’s NFL draft.
Something the Texans should know as well as anybody is that selecting a quarterback with the top pick can have calamitous consequences that can set back a franchise for years.
- Chris Wesseling (NFL.com) on Ben Tate going on IR.
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN.com) on Matt Schaub facing the Broncos.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Interesting seeing Texans put Ben Tate on IR w/2 games left – Should be a hot name in free agency. Could be a fit for a team like Cleveland.
— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) December 18, 2013