When Arian Foster went down with a season-ending injury, it was Ben Tate expected to replace the All-Pro running back. However, Tate himself was playing with lots of pain after Dontari Poe broke four of his ribs in a week 7 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Even with the Texans reeling, Tate continues to play hard. Tate is in a contract year and every snap counts for the running back who likely won’t return to the Texans next season. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- Ray Kuhn (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on the possibility of seeing Shin-Soo Choo in an Astros uniform.
Since the beginning of the off-season, Choo has been linked to the Houston Astros. The Astros have never been the favorites to sign the 31-year old outfielder, but from time to time their name has come up. And we also know that in the rumor department, we don’t get much out of the Astros or Jeff Luhnow. All of their moves so far this winter have seemingly come out of nowhere.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the Anthony Bass trade.
- An interesting read on new Astro Blaine Sims.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Houston Astros (@astros) December 12, 2013
- David Barron (Houston Chronicle) on the Rockets taking over CSN negotiations.
The Rockets said Thursday they will move into the lead negotiating role on behalf of Comcast SportsNet Houston, apparently continuing talks with two major carriers that Astros owner Jim Crane has initiated over the last six weeks. Rockets attorney Alan Gover said the Rockets will continue in the lead role through Jan. 7 under an agreement struck with the Astros that is expected to be approved by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur, who is overseeing an involuntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed against the parent company of CSN Houston.
- Jenny Dial Creech (Houston Chronicle) on the unfortunate passing of Kevin McHale’s mother.
- MoiseKapenda Bower (Houston Culture Map) on Dwight Howard’s domination.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
The #Rockets are 3-3 when they score less than 100 points, and 12-4 when they score 100 points or more. – STATS
— Hiren Joshi (@htown747) December 13, 2013
- Robert Klemko (MMQB) on Ben Tate playing through four cracked ribs.
It’s 4 p.m. on a Tuesday in early December, and a young Vietnamese man known to his clients as Dr. Ho presses his fingers against the muscled back of Ben Tate. The 220-pound 25-year-old bites into a white towel to muffle his screams as Dr. Ho, with a slight smirk on his face, methodically and rapidly twists one of the inch-and-a-half long acupuncture needles digging into Tate’s skin in a rectangular pattern just under his left shoulder blade. The spot is not far from where Dontari Poe, the Chiefs’ 346-pound defensive tackle, landed with the crown of his helmet on Oct. 20, breaking four of Tate’s ribs.
- Stephen Forsha (Toro Times) on J.J. Watt and the changing times.
- Marc Sessler (NFL.com) on the Texan’s feelings.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Talked to a GM Tuesday who offered this: “No QB is rising faster than Fresno St.’s Derek Carr.” Then asked: “What if Texans have No. 1 pick?
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) December 11, 2013