With Gary Kubiak gone, Wade Phillips has decided to switch up some of the coaching responsibilities for gameday. Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison will coach from the booth and handle playcalling. Quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell will be more involved with the offense. Offensive assistant Dan Hammerschmidt will be on the field, rather than his usual spot in the booth. Defensive Backs coach Vance Joseph will handle defensive playcalling, though Phillips has final say. Check out the rest of the links for more!
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on finding a job at the Winter Meetings.
The winter meetings aren’t all about trades and free agents. There are potential career-changing moments to be had in all walks of baseball, and new tools to investigate.
- Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis (MLB.com) with a Rule V draft preview. The draft will take place later today.
- Ray Kuhn and Andy Pondillo (Climbing Tal’s Hill) (Podcast) discuss the latest happenings with the Astros.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Astros manager Bo Porter said Fowler will hit leadoff and play CF, Jose Altuve will bat second and C Jason Castro will bat third.
— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) December 11, 2013
- Brandon Davis (Red94) on the emergence of Terrence Jones.
Before the season began, Houston faced one predominant question regarding its roster. The most pressing question was simply: “Who is our power forward?” Many writers looked outside the current Rockets roster. Some lauded Terrence Jones to be the incumbent starters. Others, still, sought Donatas Motiejunas. To this day, sadly, many still press the idea of trading Omer Asik for a power forward. Faith in the Rockets roster was rare but, where it was present, it was rewarded. Terrence Jones has emerged as the ideal running mate to Dwight Howard in averaging 10 points, 7 rebounds, 1.5 blocks a game on the season. Jones’s PER is around 19, above league average.
- Ken Berger (CBS Sports) spoke with Dwight Howard about his nutrition.
- Jenny Dial Creech (Houston Chronicle) on Kevin McHale’s absence.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Sampson says @ChandlerParsons is the glue guy for the Rockets – he binds them together.
— Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) December 11, 2013
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) say the Texans shouldn’t regard fired coaches.
Some fans have a problem with owner Bob McNair’s criteria for locating the Texans’ next head coach.
In his search to find Gary Kubiak’s replacement, McNair said he prefers candidates with head coaching experience as well as NFL backgrounds.
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on the coaching responsibilities this Sunday.
- Lance Zierlein (Sideline View) on potential head coaching candidates for the Texans.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Finbaum just said he is hearing the #Texans are interested in Saban.
— David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) December 11, 2013