There were two different rumors regarding a proposed Japanese posting system. In a case where multiple teams placed a bid for the same amount, either the team with the lowest record would “win” the right to negotiate with the player, or all teams would be able to negotiate the player. Unfortunately for the Astros it appears to be the latter. The Astros may still place a bid for the Japanese star but they will likely be negotiating against several powerhouse teams. Check out today’s links for more!
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) says the latest proposed Japanese posting system won’t help the Astros land the Masahiro Tanaka.
Could the Astros technically afford to pay Tanaka upwards of $15 million per season? Sure. But signing any big-name player this winter would limit the number of other additions they can make, and likely would not be the most prudent use of the roughly $30 million they have to spend.
- David Laurila (FanGraphs) did a Q&A with new Astros pitching coach Brent Strom.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) says the Dexter Fowler acquisition is a big step forward for the Astros.
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Houston Astros Orbit (@OrbitAstros) December 4, 2013
- Jenny Dial Creech (Houston Chronicle) on the Rockets mental errors.
The Rockets were seemingly in control on Saturday night against the Spurs. Leading by 13 in the second quarter, they were energetic, hitting shots, getting stops and owning the momentum.
- Phillip Pyle (Space City Scoop) asks if Isaiah Canaan is ready for a callup.
- MoiseKapenda Bower (Houston Culture Map) on the Rockets being elite.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) says a Texans house cleaning would be foolish.
It’s stunning how many fans and members of the media want Texans owner Bob McNair to blow up his front office by firing coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith after one atrocious season.
- David Barron (Houston Chronicle) on the weak Texans-Jaguars game today.
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on J.J. Watt still being the best.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Jacksonville shuttle driver: “Are you kidding me? Somebody is worse than the Jaguars?” #Texans
— Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) December 5, 2013