- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) on the winter of J.D. Martinez.
Martinez not only wanted to make up for the at-bats he lost during a 44-game stint on the disabled list with a left wrist strain, but he felt it was important to put up some good numbers during the winter to show the Astros he can be a viable hitter in their lineup.
Houston general manager Jeff Luhnow has certainly taken notice of Martinez, who entered Monday hitting .333 (27-for-81) with six homers and 18 RBIs in 20 games in the Venezuelan Winter League. Martinez was slugging .630 with an on-base percentage of .402.
- Chris Cotillo (MLB Daily Dish) says the Astros have had no extension talks with Jason Castro yet.
- Evan Drellich (Houston Chronicle) on the non-tender deadline and what it means to the Astros.
- Astros tweet of the day…
The Astros might have a better chance to upgrade their rotation through a trade over this FA market. A guy like Brett Anderson makes sense.
— Sean Feist (@native_astro) December 2, 2013
- D.J. Foster (Bleacher Report) on what the Rockets could realistically get for Omer Asik.
Rockets general manager Daryl Morey apparently hasn’t felt the need to lower his asking price, even as his leverage diminished once Asik requested a trade and failed to play well in lineups with Dwight Howard.
- Michael Ma (Space City Scoop) on the reemergence of Aaron Brooks.
- CSN Houston (Video) – Bun B goes one-on-one with Omri Casspi.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
— Adam Clanton (@adamclanton) December 3, 2013
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) on Ben Tate auditioning for 2013.
Then there’s Ben Tate. He’s in a contract season coming off an off year, which saw the No. 58 overall pick of the 2010 NFL draft struggle with his health and spend time in Kubiak’s personal doghouse. There was a boulder on Tate’s shoulder entering 2013 training camp, courtesy of the self-belief that he was equal to Foster and deserving of the same recognition afforded a full-time starter. And once the real games began, it was just challenge after challenge.
- Sean Pendergast (Houston Press) on the Texans potential first overall pick.
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) gives his game balls for the latest Texans loss.
- Texans tweet of the day…