John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports

Kubiak Cleared To Leave Hospital: Phillips Expected To Coach Sunday

John McClain (Houston Chronicle) tweeted that Head Coach Gary Kubiak has been cleared to return home from the hospital today.

After collapsing at halftime of the Texans/Colts game on Sunday night, Kubiak underwent many different tests to determine what had occurred to cause his fall. Early reports indicated that he had stroke-like symptoms, so Kubiak underwent several tests to see if he suffered a transient ischemic attack (TIA). Here’s an explanation from Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle):

TIA is generally referred to as a “mini-stroke” but often serves as a warning stroke. It occurs when blood clots briefly block an artery and interrupt blood flow to part of the brain. In such cases, the body’s defenses act on their own to dissolve the clot. Symptoms of such attacks are similar to those of a stroke but don’t last as long.

Today, doctors cleared Kubiak to return home though Kubiak is not expected to coach this Sunday. Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips will act as the team’s Head Coach for the time being. Phillips has a 82-61 career record as Head Coach for five different teams. Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison will call the offensive plays, a job both Kubiak and Dennison shared this season. Though Kubiak will likely miss this week’s game, it’s possible Kubiak could return to the sidelines as early as next week.

It will be interesting to see how the offense responds with Dennison being the play caller. The Texans put up 21 points in the first half and clearly shied away from certain plays once Kubiak was taken to the hospital. Obviously the player’s minds weren’t focused after Kubiak collapse, which could be part of the reason of the shaky offense in the second half, but Dennison’s play calling was a bit suspect and conservative in the second half.

The Texans head to Arizona to face the Cardinals this Sunday at 3:25 PM CT on CBS.


Tags: Gary Kubiak Houston Texans Wade Phillips

comments powered by Disqus