Red Sox a model for Astros | Dwight Howard’s debut | Bum Phillips memorial service
- Brian McTaggart (Houston Chronicle) writes three Astros were nominated for GIBBY awards.
Just because the Astros struggled in their first season in the American League doesn’t mean there weren’t some very memorable moments. From the breakout season of All-Star catcher Jason Castro to rookie outfielder Brandon Barneshitting for the cycle to outfielder Robbie Grossman‘s game-saving catch in Oakland, the 2013 Astros produced a few memories worthy of considering for a GIBBY Award.
- Jose De Jesus Ortiz (Houston Chronicle for Baseball America) on Nolan Fontana.
- Ray Kuhn (Climbing Tal’s Hill) on the Red Sox being a great model for the Astros.
- Astros tweet of the day…
Congrats to the Red Sox, but we are working to bring that trophy to Houston. #Astros
— Mark Appel (@MAppel26) October 31, 2013
- Marc Stein (ESPN) on Dwight Howard and his debut.
It will be remembered as a clunky and mostly clanky spectacle that, record rebounding aside, belongs in no scrapbook. Scratch that. No one is going to want to remember any of the unsightly particulars from the game that launched what Dwight Howard is calling a “new age” for the Houston Rockets.
- Eddie Sefko (Dallas Morning News) writes about Mark Cuban saying Dwight Howard made a mistake in joining the Rockets.
- Pete Holmes (Video) spoke with James Harden and his beard.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) October 31, 2013
- Brian T. Smith (Houston Chronicle) writes about the impact on the Texans from the Bum Phillips memorial service.
Dennison praised the service, which was held Tuesday at Lakewood Church. The offensive coordinator acknowledged he and his team have struggled with consistency this season. The tribute to Phillips instantly rekindled Dennison’s passion for the sport and the people who play it.
- Tania Ganguli (ESPN) on the improved pla-action game with Case Keenum.
- Dale Robertson (Houston Chronicle) on the opposite starts of Keenum and Luck into the NFL.
- Texans tweet of the day..
— Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) October 31, 2013