- Tyler Stafford (Climbing Tal’s Hill) has an excellent interview with Astros farmhand Travis Ballew.
Travis Ballew was drafted by the Astros in the 23rd round in 2012 out of Texas State. In his first full season of pro ball, he took over the closer’s role for the Lancaster JetHawks, recording 21 saves this year. He showed vast improvement this season, specifically in his strikeout rate, which was a ridiculous 13 per 9 innings.
- Brian McTaggart (MLB.com) writes that the Astros now have some interesting new technology to keep track of their workouts.
- Here’s an MLB.com video on the Astros players at the Arizona Fall League
- Astros tweet of the day…
— Houston Astros (@astros) October 28, 2013
- Danny Nowell (Hoopsspeak.com) on Dwight Howard.
I am tired of reading about Dwight Howard. It’s a fair bet that you are, too, but it’s also a fair bet that we’re tired for different reasons. Very likely you’re tired of his relentless boorishness, tone-deaf self-aggrandizement, and constant waffling. That’s your prerogative. But me, I’m tired of reading about Dwight Howard because it seems like every person I read complaining about Howard has forgotten that he is awesome.
- Jonathan Feigen (Houston Chronicle) on James Harden and the trade that was just a year ago.
- A report from TMZ says Royce White went as far as cursing out a Rockets team official.
- Rockets tweet of the day…
Rockets now say they are joining Comcast entities as petitioning creditors. Major break with Astros.
— David Barron (@dfbarron) October 28, 2013
- Tania Ganguil (ESPN) on Jake Byrne’s battle with diabetes.
Houston Texans tight end Jake Byrne pulled his pads out of his locker to show a contraption built into them that holds his insulin pump when he plays or practices. Since he was 15 years old, he’s been learning how to handle his Type 1 diabetes and keep playing football despite it. Experimentation has helped, as has the support of teams for which he’s played.
- John McClain (Houston Chronicle) on Keenum’s charisma.
- Patrick Starr (State Of The Texans) on the Texans out of the bye week.
- Texans tweet of the day…
Matt Schaub says he feels #Texans starting Keenum has everything to do with his play and not his health. Is upset with desicion.
— James Palmer (@JPalmerCSN) October 28, 2013