Dave Trembley, Rockets relationships, and Shane Lechler. Check out today’s links and tweets!
- Astros County took a deep look at the Astros bullpen. Worst of all-time? Find out!
- Zach Links (MLBtraderumors.com) wrote up their offseason outlook for the Astros.
The Astros haven’t been to the postseason in eight years and, barring something unforeseen, that streak won’t be snapped in 2014. However, one has to imagine the Astros will feel compelled to field a team that is markedly more competitive than this year’s lineup. To call the 2013 roster bare bones would be an understatement. The Astros opened the season with a payroll of $26.1MM, and after Bud Norris was traded in July, Erik Bedard stood as their highest paid player with a salary of $1.15MM. Insert your own fun numbers crunch here, but here’s the one we’ll go with: Alex Rodriguez individually outearned the entire Astros roster in 2013 and Bedard’s salary would make him the 23rd highest-paid player on the Yankees.
- The Crawfish Boxes wrote a great article on why the Astros need to keep Dave Trembley.
- Astros tweet of the weekend…
— Mike Peasley (@PeasESPN) October 6, 2013
- Carl Fudge (Clutchfans) wrote about Jeremy Lin’s big test for the 2013-2014 season.
- Howard Beck (Bleacher Report) spoke with Dwight Howard and Kevin McHale about their relationship together.
The workout had run for two excruciating hours, and Dwight Howard was spent. Breathless, drenched, done. Kevin McHale, his new coach, had one more request.”Hey, we’ve gotta do our sprints now. Ten, up and down.” Exhausted, but eager to please, Howard pushed aside his momentary disbelief on that September day. “OK,” he said. “I’m in.”
- Jason Friedman (Rockets.com) talked with Jeremy Lin and Patrick Beverly about their mutual respect for each other.
Both are fiercely competitive 25-year-olds possessing every reason to believe that their best basketball still lies before them. Each spent his summer tirelessly working to the point of exhaustion on a near daily basis, earning plaudits and praise for the individual improvements shown during the Rockets’ first week of training camp. Both, of course, play the point guard position.
- Rockets tweet of the weekend…
Rockets’ backcourt trio of Harden, Lin, Beverley scored 44 points on 60.9% FG to go w/ 12 assists & 8 steals in limited minutes.
— ClutchFans (@clutchfans) October 6, 2013
- Is Shane Lechler the reason why Sebastian Janikowski is struggling? Peter King (MMQB) has the story.
By football standards, Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski was as dependable as a sunrise the previous two seasons. He made 31 of 35 field goal attempts in 2011 and converted on 31 of 34 last season, which is exponentially more impressive when considering his failures came from 64, 61 and 51 yards.
- Check out some interesting Texans fan’s gear from this Deadspin article.
- Stephanie Stradley (Houston Chronicle) did a Q&A Danny Tuccitto (Football Outsiders), and her own 1st quarter preview.
- Texans tweet of the weekend…
Nothing like a terrible play on punt return to allow West Virginia to tie score. Ridiculous. Reminds me of Texans special teams blunders.
— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) October 6, 2013